Do you have any unneeded medications at home?
What is Take It To The Box?
The Take It To The Box program promotes the safe use, safe storage, and safe disposal of unneeded prescription and over-the-counter medications. This includes both human and animal medications.
The Rice County community is serious about preventing medication misuse/abuse and about environmentally safe disposal of unneeded medications.
Why is it important?
Abuse of prescription and over-the-counter medication is dangerous. Safe disposal makes medicines less available.
Improper disposal of medicines damages the environment. Proper disposal helps protect our soil and water.
WHEN is it available?
Take It To The Box medication disposal boxes are available 7 days per week, 24 hours per day.
WHERE are the disposal boxes located?
Drop-off boxes are located in the lobbies of:
- Northfield Police Department: 1615 Riverview Drive, Northfield
- Rice County Sheriff’s Office: 118 3rd St NW, Faribault
- Faribault Police Department: 25 4th St NW, Faribault (Temporarily unavailable due to COVID-19)
Local pharmacies with medication disposal boxes include:
- Allina Health District One Pharmacy, 200 State Ave, Faribault, (507) 497-3797, Monday through Friday 9 am to 5:30 pm
- Hy-Vee Pharmacy, 1920 Grant St NW, Faribault, (507) 334-1555, 7 days a week, 5 am – 11 pm
WHAT do I do?
- Leave medication in the original container.
- Remove your name and other identifying information.
- Leave the type/name of the medication on the container.
- Drop medication into the disposal box opening.